Quantum stocks soar as U.S. reportedly plans $2 billion 'award' and equity stakes
Quantum computing stocks soared on Thursday after reports that the Trump administration is preparing an 'award' of about $2 billion for domestic firms and is considering taking equity stakes in them, drawing parallels with the Pentagon's earlier Intel investment.

Quantum computing names, one of Wall Street's most volatile groups, posted historic gains on Thursday. The Wall Street Journal reported that the White House and the Commerce Department are working on a programme combining about $2 billion in direct grants and government equity stakes in small-cap names including IonQ, Rigetti, D-Wave and Quantum Computing.
The plan extends the 'state-strategic technology partnership' template the Pentagon launched last month when it took a near-10% stake in Intel. IonQ and Rigetti closed up 20-25%, while D-Wave and Quantum Computing rose 15-18%. The Defiance Quantum ETF (ticker QTUM) ended the session more than 7% higher.
Officials frame the scheme as a counterweight to Beijing's billion-dollar quantum push and a practical application of Trump's 'technological sovereignty' doctrine. Critics warned that direct government ownership of small, pre-revenue companies could distort private capital flows and create political pressure after the next election. A formal announcement is expected this summer.
More from North America

UAE says OPEC exit was a strategic economic move, not political
The United Arab Emirates said its decision to leave OPEC was a strategic economic choice rather than a political one. Officials told CNBC the move lets the country deploy spare production capacity freely and align output with its energy diversification plans.

Oil jumps more than 3% after Iran's supreme leader says uranium must stay in country
Brent crude rose more than 3% on Thursday to above $102 a barrel after Ayatollah Khamenei said Iran's enriched uranium must remain within the country, dampening hopes of a near-term deal with the United States and reviving Hormuz supply fears.

BlackRock weighs $5-10 billion investment in SpaceX IPO
BlackRock is in talks to commit between $5 billion and $10 billion to SpaceX's upcoming initial public offering, The Information reported. The investment, if completed, would mark one of the largest single-firm commitments to a US listing in years.