Key Mediterranean people-smuggler arrested after BBC uncovered his identity
A man identified as the head of a people-smuggling network that organised crossings from the eastern Mediterranean to Europe for years has been arrested by Greek police after the BBC disclosed his identity. The suspect is alleged to hold accounts in Istanbul, Athens and Brussels, and to have organised the crossing of at least 2,400 migrants in the past year.

A six-month BBC investigation traced cross-references between Greek coastguard logs and reports from the European Border and Coast Guard Agency (Frontex) to identify code names used by the network's head. The suspect's real identity was not leaked before publication; the name remained confidential until Wednesday, when the case file was lodged with the Athens prosecutor.
Greek police said in a statement that the suspect has been on the international wanted list since November 2025 and had spent the past three months in an Airbnb apartment in Thessaloniki. Frontex chief investigator Carlos Mendes told the BBC: 'This arrest is a real turning point; but we must remember that other links in the chain remain active.'
The case has revived debate on the implementation of the European Pact on Migration and Asylum, which member states overhauled last year. A European Commission spokesperson said the pact's powers to monitor and sanction people-smuggling 'will be strengthened by an additional regulation in mid-September'.
More from Middle East

US condemns Israel's Ben-Gvir while sanctioning Gaza flotilla organisers
The US State Department called the behaviour of Israeli National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir toward detained flotilla activists 'unacceptable'. On the same day, the Department of Homeland Security imposed OFAC sanctions on two organisations that helped organise the Gaza-bound flotilla. The combined move is producing mixed signals on the US-Israel diplomatic line.

Israeli settlers burn vehicles and install caravans in occupied West Bank
Footage published by Al Jazeera shows settlers burning vehicles owned by Palestinians and installing caravans on the same plot in the village of Khirbet Wadi al-Joz in the occupied West Bank. The UN Human Rights Office called for an immediate investigation. The Israeli army has not left the site.

Palestinian President Abbas casts vote in decisive Fatah elections
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas cast his vote in internal Fatah elections that will reshape the movement's leadership structure. The ballot will set the agenda for governance priorities and succession planning in the post-Gaza war period.