U.S. sanctions Tanzanian police official over alleged torture of rights activists
The U.S. Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) said it has sanctioned a senior Tanzanian police official over allegations of torture and arbitrary detention of human rights defenders and journalists. The measure under the Magnitsky framework includes asset freezes and travel restrictions.

According to the U.S. Treasury Department's announcement Friday, a senior commissioner of the police force under Tanzania's Interior Ministry has been added to the Magnitsky Global sanctions list over allegations of 'systematic torture' against nine human rights defenders and four journalists over the past three years. The Treasury supported its decision with reports from international observers tracking human rights records.
Amnesty International's East Africa Director Tigere Chagutah said in a statement: 'This step is the international response to our demand for accountability.' Human Rights Watch published a detailed file alleging the official was responsible for detentions during opposition protests in 2024 and 2025.
The Tanzanian government has not yet issued an official response, but a Foreign Ministry spokesperson said the government considers the decision 'interference in domestic affairs.' The EU External Action Service said it has noted the sanction and will examine the matter within its own human rights dialogue framework. U.S.-Tanzania trade volume reached $845 million last year.
More from Africa

Ndiaye adamant Senegal are African champions despite Afcon legal wrangle
Senegal forward Iliman Ndiaye said his team are 'African champions in many people's eyes' despite the legal wrangle over the 2025 Afcon title. CAF awaits the Court of Arbitration for Sport's ruling in mid-June. Senegal will open their World Cup 2026 Group G campaign.

WHO raises Ebola risk to 'very high' in DR Congo
World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has raised the national risk level for the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo to 'very high.' The risk for five neighbouring countries was set at 'high'; the global risk remains 'low.' Confirmed cases have reached 678 and deaths 154.

DRC health minister warns 'very high' Ebola lethality rate as toll hits 80
The health minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo warned that the lethality rate of an Ebola outbreak in the country's east is exceptionally high. The official death toll has reached 80, and local authorities flag a shortage of treatment-centre capacity.