Tax changes 'threaten to chill' record federal green energy support
The Australian Taxation Office plan to narrow capital gains tax exemptions for renewable energy projects has drawn sharp investor pushback. The Clean Energy Investor Group warned that A$18 billion in investment could be deferred. The federal government's 2030 target of 82 percent renewable energy is at risk.

The Australian Taxation Office (ATO) draft guidance published last week proposes excluding from exemption capital gains classified as 'passive investment' in large-scale solar, wind and battery storage projects. The regulation requires evidence of annual investor participation and documentation of operational engagement to clear the active-investment threshold. If the final version, scheduled for June 30, takes effect, the annual tax burden on affected projects will rise 15 to 22 percent.
Clean Energy Investor Group CEO Richie Merzian told ABC: 'Among the 47 large-scale projects notified for 2026, 22 worth A$18 billion are likely to reassess upcoming capital structure decisions.' Projects planned by Macquarie Capital, Brookfield Infrastructure and CIP Australia include the 800 MW Queensland Solar Phase 2, the 1.2 GW New South Wales Battery System and a Tasmania pumped hydro scheme. The federal government's 'Powering Australia' programme's initial A$25 billion public support pledge is unchanged.
Climate Change and Energy Minister Chris Bowen told parliament: 'The guidance is the ATO's independent technical assessment; as the department, we will ensure the final version does not impede the transition.' Opposition energy spokesperson Ted O'Brien responded: 'This is another example of the Albanese government's inconsistent policy toward renewable energy investors.' Goldman Sachs Australia chief economist Andrew Boak wrote in a research note: 'If the regulation is implemented, Australia's 2030 target of 82 percent renewables could slip to 2033 at the current pace.' The Federal Senate Environment Committee will examine the issue on June 5.
More from Australia-Pacific

Air NZ boss defends new routes amid reduced services elsewhere
Air New Zealand CEO Greg Foran responded to criticism over three new international routes from Christchurch to Singapore, Tokyo and Perth. Foran said the cuts to Wellington and regional flights stem from Iran-war-driven fuel prices.

Aspiration has changed since the Howard era. This budget is finally catching up
Treasurer Jim Chalmers's 2026-27 budget proposes a sweeping reorientation of housing, childcare and education incentives. According to ABC analysis, the budget breaks with the middle-class identity of the John Howard era and refocuses on a younger generation of renting voters.

Will drastic NDIS overhaul repeat the mistakes of the past?
Australia's planned overhaul of the National Disability Insurance Scheme is raising fears that the cuts could repeat the mistakes of the 1980s deinstitutionalisation wave. Advocates and health experts warn sudden changes could leave a serious care gap.