US Justice Department indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges
On May 20, 2026, the US Justice Department indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges tied to the 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft that killed four US nationals. Castro, 94, lives in Havana. The move signals a sharp turn in Washington's Cuba posture.

The US Justice Department charged former Cuban president Raúl Castro with murder, conspiracy and aircraft destruction over the 24 February 1996 downing of two civilian Cessna aircraft off Havana belonging to Brothers to the Rescue, a humanitarian group. Four US citizens died in the incident. Federal prosecutors alleged Castro personally ordered the shootdown.
Castro succeeded his brother Fidel Castro as Cuban leader in 2008 and stepped down from his post as First Secretary of the Communist Party in 2021. He is 94 and lives in Havana. The Cuban government had not officially responded to the indictment at the time of publication; formal diplomatic channels between Washington and Havana have been largely closed since 2017.
The charges land alongside a sharper Trump administration posture toward Cuba in recent weeks. US warplanes and drones were reportedly tracked near Cuban shores last week, and Havana has accused Washington of building "a fraudulent case for military action". Extradition of Castro to the United States is regarded as practically impossible.
More from North America

OpenAI prepares to file confidentially for IPO as soon as Friday
Artificial intelligence company OpenAI is preparing to file confidentially for an initial public offering with the US Securities and Exchange Commission as soon as Friday, sources told CNBC. The company carries a private valuation approaching 500 billion dollars; the IPO could be one of the largest tech listings in recent years.

UAE says OPEC exit was a strategic economic move, not political
The United Arab Emirates said its decision to leave OPEC was a strategic economic choice rather than a political one. Officials told CNBC the move lets the country deploy spare production capacity freely and align output with its energy diversification plans.

BlackRock weighs $5-10 billion investment in SpaceX IPO
BlackRock is in talks to commit between $5 billion and $10 billion to SpaceX's upcoming initial public offering, The Information reported. The investment, if completed, would mark one of the largest single-firm commitments to a US listing in years.