China tells US to stop 'threats' against Cuba after former leader charged
China's foreign ministry called the US indictment of former Cuban leader Raúl Castro and recent military activity near the island 'threatening behaviour' and urged Washington to halt it, signalling Beijing's open backing of Havana in the unfolding Caribbean stand-off.

China's foreign ministry called Washington's recent moves on Cuba 'unilateral bullying that goes beyond security logic' during a regular briefing in Beijing on Thursday. Spokesperson Lin Jian said the US Justice Department's murder indictment of former leader Raúl Castro and increased military flights off Florida 'must stop'.
The Justice Department announced charges last week, holding Castro responsible for the 1996 downing of two Brothers to the Rescue Cessnas in international airspace and the deaths of four US citizens. Havana has dismissed the case as a 'political show'. Beijing's intervention is the first senior-level Chinese statement on the unfolding Caribbean crisis.
China has rapidly deepened scientific and digital infrastructure ties with Cuba over the past three years and previously rejected Pentagon claims about a Chinese intelligence facility on the island. Analysts said the statement raises the diplomatic cost of Trump's broader push to curb Chinese influence in Latin America.
More from South America

Lower-cost Novo, Lilly weight-loss pills draw patients from compounded drugs, doctors say
Doctors say that lower-priced weight-loss pills launched in recent months by Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly are starting to pull patients away from compounded GLP-1 alternatives. Manufacturer price cuts and broader insurance coverage are redirecting demand to the major branded drugs.

SK Hynix on track to become second Korean firm to hit $1 trillion market cap
Record demand for AI memory chips has pushed SK Hynix's market capitalisation close to the $1 trillion mark. If achieved, it would make the firm South Korea's second company to hit that level after Samsung Electronics.

Three dead after monster truck crashes into crowd
A monster truck crashed into a crowd at a show in Colombia, killing at least three people and injuring 38. The incident raises fresh concerns about public safety at large events.