U.S. acting Navy chief confirms $14 billion arms sale to Taiwan paused due to Iran war
Speaking at the U.S. Senate Armed Services Committee, the acting Navy chief said the previously approved $14 billion supply of arms and munitions to Taiwan has been paused due to inventory pressures from the Iran conflict. Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said it had requested clearer briefings from Washington.

Acting Navy chief Admiral Russell Caldwell told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the delivery schedule for the $14 billion package, previously approved in 2024 and 2025, is being reassessed due to inventory drawdown from the Iran conflict. The package included anti-ship missiles, sea mine systems and surveillance aircraft spare parts.
Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said it requested concrete information on the postponement duration and resupply plan following talks with Washington. President Lai's spokesperson said the late arrival of systems deemed critical for the island's defense 'could affect defense readiness.'
China's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Mao Ning reiterated that Beijing 'opposes arms sales to Taiwan in any circumstance' and said it was closely monitoring the process. The Pentagon stated that the postponement could be balanced over the next 18 months and that new mechanisms for inventory coordination with allies are being developed. Asia-Pacific security analysts are debating the decision's effects on the regional deterrence balance.
More from Asia

India's job engine strains as Iran war hits remittances and trade
A wave of returning Indian workers from Gulf states has cut remittances by 18 percent in April 2026, with about 1.3 million workers affected. The Kerala and Tamil Nadu state job markets are under added pressure; the Indian government announced a $70 billion emergency economic support package.

Japan to bolster sea lane defence with Southeast Asia info-sharing plan
Japan will set up a broad maritime information-sharing framework with Southeast Asian countries, led by the Philippines, Vietnam and Indonesia. With the Hormuz crisis and South China Sea tensions in the background, Tokyo is moving to protect critical trade lanes.

China's top diplomat Wang Yi to visit US and Canada to pave way for Xi trip
Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi will chair the UN Security Council in New York on May 26 and visit Canada from May 28 to 30. The trip aims to tighten the agenda before President Xi Jinping's planned U.S. visit in September. Beijing has scheduled an extended meeting between Wang and Rubio.