Republican Thomas Massie loses Kentucky primary in Trump-backed challenge
Republican Representative Thomas Massie, repeatedly singled out by Donald Trump as a critic, was defeated in Kentucky's 4th district primary by Trump-endorsed challenger Ed Gallrein. The result underscores the president's continued grip on Republican primary politics.

Republican Representative Thomas Massie was defeated in Kentucky's 4th district primary by Ed Gallrein, an openly Trump-backed challenger. Massie, a seven-term incumbent, had been singled out by Trump on social media in recent months and labeled disloyal within the party.
The outcome is being read as confirmation of the president's continued grip on the Republican base. Massie had distanced himself from the party line on issues including fiscal restraint and foreign intervention, and had drawn particular attention in recent weeks for criticizing Trump's Iran policy.
Gallrein heads into November's general election as the heavy favourite in a traditionally Republican district. The result suggests the Trump camp will keep applying similar loyalty tests inside the party ahead of the 2026 midterms.
More from North America

OpenAI prepares to file confidentially for IPO as soon as Friday
Artificial intelligence company OpenAI is preparing to file confidentially for an initial public offering with the US Securities and Exchange Commission as soon as Friday, sources told CNBC. The company carries a private valuation approaching 500 billion dollars; the IPO could be one of the largest tech listings in recent years.

UAE says OPEC exit was a strategic economic move, not political
The United Arab Emirates said its decision to leave OPEC was a strategic economic choice rather than a political one. Officials told CNBC the move lets the country deploy spare production capacity freely and align output with its energy diversification plans.

US Justice Department indicts former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges
On May 20, 2026, the US Justice Department indicted former Cuban president Raúl Castro on murder charges tied to the 1996 shootdown of two civilian aircraft that killed four US nationals. Castro, 94, lives in Havana. The move signals a sharp turn in Washington's Cuba posture.