Electric vehicles could reshape New Zealand's entire energy system, new report says
A new report from New Zealand's Regulatory Reform Commission argues that electric vehicle batteries feeding back into the grid could reshape the country's entire energy system. Vehicle-to-grid technology could meet 15 percent of peak demand by 2030, the report says.

A 95-page report from New Zealand's Regulatory Reform Commission released Tuesday argues that the rapid rise of electric vehicles could fundamentally reshape the country's energy system through vehicle-to-grid (V2G) technology, where car batteries feed power back into the network. The report estimates V2G could meet 15 percent of peak demand by 2030 and cut grid capacity investment by NZ$800 million a year.
The number of registered electric vehicles in New Zealand passed 195,000 in early 2026, about 5 percent of the national fleet. The commission proposed cost support for V2G-capable chargers, a standardised tariff mechanism for charging and a regulatory update for distribution network operators. Contact Energy chief executive Mike Fuge described the report as 'a practical roadmap for energy companies.'
Across the Tasman, Origin Energy and AGL are expanding pilot V2G programmes. New Zealand has one of the highest EV penetration rates in the Pacific; 38 percent of new vehicle sales last year were fully electric or hybrid. Climate Minister James Shaw said the government will consider the recommendations, with the first regulatory framework changes potentially announced by July.
More from Australia-Pacific

Almost 20% of New Zealand townhouses selling for a loss
According to the latest report from New Zealand's largest property data provider CoreLogic, 19.4 percent of townhouses sold in the first quarter of 2026 were sold below their original purchase price. The proportion is higher in the Auckland and Wellington regions; newer developments built after 2019 are seeing the sharpest declines.

Aspiration has changed since the Howard era. This budget is finally catching up
Treasurer Jim Chalmers's 2026-27 budget proposes a sweeping reorientation of housing, childcare and education incentives. According to ABC analysis, the budget breaks with the middle-class identity of the John Howard era and refocuses on a younger generation of renting voters.

Lawyers say teen accused of trying to hijack Jetstar plane was mentally impaired
Lawyers for the 17-year-old accused of an armed boarding attempt on a Jetstar aircraft at Australia's Avalon Airport in May 2024 have told the court their client was experiencing an acute psychotic episode during the incident. The case is being heard in the children's court in Melbourne.